Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software
Posted by: nj
Date/Time: 03/06/2002 04:42:11

Hi, Michael.

Here is a list of content extracted from the author's replies to guest postings.  Each item of extracted content is listed as a question/answer pair.  Following each pair is a reference pointing to the thread reply from which I copied the answer content.

On my list of possible FAQ answers:

(1)a FAQ answer is a direct quote from an author's reply. 

(2)A FAQ question is either taken from a post addressed to the authors, an edited (for clarity) version of a posted question, or a question I constructed.

This FAQ may include statements that help readers answer questions they have without posting those questions to Dr. Grinder, Ms. St Clair, or you.  That result of posting a FAQ is my goal I serve with these FAQ items I suggest below.

-nj

POSSIBLE FAQ CONTENT

title: possible additions to a FAQ for this group

1. Why did you and Bandler split up?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: you'll find the answer in "Whispering In The Wind"
[Ed, 22/04, "John I have to ask this", reply 2]

2. What is Dr. Grinder's opinion of Mr. Bandler and his work?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: you'll find the answer in "Whispering In The Wind"
[Ed, 22/04, "John I have to ask this", reply 2]

3. Will Dr. Grinder have a world tour?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: I have no new world tour. If I had one, I would likely pursue advanced versions on the work developed in Whispering.
[karlcharter, 24/04, "May 4 Toronto Seminar", reply 1]

4.I am wondering if there are scheduled events in the US for 2002 or 2003.
[Elvis Lester, 23/04, "Training Opportunities &", reply 1]

5. Who gave John Grinder the right to decide what is NLP?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: who gave John Grinder the right to decide what is proper NLP, the simple answer is: No one!

The more extended response is offered by saying:

(5.)1. While as the co-creator of NLP, I have the right to explicate the intention behind the creation of NLP and its intended boundary conditions, I clearly have no right (nor the ability or interest) in making the decision as to whether the NLP community will accept those boundary conditons. Carmen and I did think it important to declare what the original intention was to ensure that the ensuing discussion has available the historical intentions behind the creation of the field as one of the data to consider in making this crucial decision.

(5.)2. as Carmen and I declared in multiple parts of Whispering, our intention is to provoke responses from the NLP community - the group that surely historically will decide what the boundary conditions will be. In other words, we recognize that NLP is far bigger than either or both of its co-creators. Decide well!
[Someone Special, 02/05, "Content vs form and neurological something", message 1]

6. How or where was anchoring discovered by John Grinder and Richard Bandler?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: Anchoring was a class of patternings that Richard and I worked out before we had contact with Erickson. We noted it simply through repeated observations of reoccurring states and noted that they were being elicited by repetative cues. These observations led us to positive agressive exploration of the patterning involved and the systematic manipulation of the variables that are its elements.
[Uncle Fester, 07/05, "Origin of Anchoring?", reply 1]

7. Is strategy elicitation modeling?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: The strategy elicitation approach while respecting the need of a modeler to use unconscious behavior as a primary source of patterning in the model does not respect the unconscious assimulation requirement in which the modeler avoids any conscious appreciation of the model's behavior until he or she can replicate the effects that the model achieves
[Stephen M. Hawley, 09/05, "Modeling", reply 1]

8. Is asserting what is ethical and what is not ethical an imposition on the NLP community of the ethics of John Grinder and Carmen Bostic St. Clair?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: We are proposing a set of examples well enough defined to stimulate discussion and declaring that we have as of yet not succeeded in developing a formal definition. Our intention by proposing or asserting a position is to offer a starting point for discussion that will ultimately be owned by the community. This is, indeed, the movement behind much of what we present in Whispering.
[Loren Larson,12/05, "A few questions", reply 1]

9. Are all NLP applications therapeutic applications?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: The simple answer is NO, not all applications are therapeutic - all applications of NLP coded patterns to business (you mention sales as a legitimate example) sports (choice of state and state maintenance issue, for example) medicine...
are legitimate and powerful applications.
[Thomas,06/05,"Are all nlp-applications therapeutical?", reply 1]

10. I want to see the New Code patterns listed in "Whispering In The Wind".

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: Thanks for your enthusiasm and hunger for the additional New Code Patterns. We hope to offer a more thorough treatment in writing within the next year. We attempted to cover a lot in Whispering and obviously not all subjects could be presented in depth.
[Thomas, 06/05, "Representations of John and Carmen's latest developments", message 1]

11. When will "RedTail Math" be published?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: Thanks for the interest. Our target is 2003.
[Carol, 15/05,"RedTail Math", reply 1]

12. What is the definition of state?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: In NLP, state is (in our opinion and work) most usefully defined with reference to physiology - see the section on the Chain of Excellence in the New Code portion of Whispering.
[Thomas, 08/05, "What is the definition of variables?", reply 1]

13. What are differences between using the New Code format and its associated games versus self hypnosis?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: One set of quite obvious differences between using the New Code format and its associated games and self hypnosis contains among others the following differences:

(13.)1. the New Code generates de novo a high performance state that is entirely independent of any previous experiences

(13.)2. the New Code format has an explicit containing frame - the context to which the change is confined. Some self hypnosis formats have a counterpart, others not.
[John P., 20/05, "Role of self-hypnosis", reply 1]

14. What can you say about the classification of ASL as a full syntactical language?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair: If we left the impression that there was any doubt about ASL being classified as a full syntactic language, read the material on page 111 - 112, in footnote 16.
[Robin, 20/05, "Washoe and ASL"]

15. What are some guidelines for posting here?

Webmaster Michael Carroll:
This forum was set up as means to provide interested members of the NLP community to involve themselves in the discussion and hopefully, the development of a set of actions congruent with the recommendations we offer in Whispering. We encourage all interested parties to express their responses here. Please keep your postings relevant to the contents of Whispering. The book is so comprehensive so you have a broad scope.

The following topics will appear here in the near future as a series of mini forums to keep the discussion focussed.  

(15.)1. Modeling
(15.)2. Applications
(15.)3. New Code
(15.)4. Proposed Solutions to Puzzles and Recommendations
(15.)5. Origins and Definitions
(15.)6. Epistemology

Until the mini forums are loaded, could you please indicate in the title of your post which category your post falls into from the 6 mentioned above. For example if you are making a post regarding the 6 Step Reframe you would in your title state- Applications; 6 step reframe. If you are making a post regarding a model you would like to present, in your title write- Modeling; XYZ model, and so on.

16. Why is the Meta Model so important?

Dr. Grinder & Ms. St Clair:  Read Whispering where this question is handled.
[James Bond,"Back to the basics -- Meta Model",31/05, reply 1]

17. What is a good book to start with to study MM?

18. John Is pacing more important than leading and where does my calibration start SPECIFICALLY to begin pacing?

19. John looking back in your mind what was some slick experential applications of the Meta Model?

20.  What is 'triple description''?

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
regarding newsgroup software29/05/2002 18:31:01nj
     Re:regarding newsgroup software30/05/2002 01:35:54Michael Carroll
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software30/05/2002 05:54:06nj
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 04:42:11nj
               Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 07:29:22nj
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software08/06/2002 08:41:06nj
                    possible list of purchase-related FAQ questions10/07/2002 00:11:27nj
               Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 08:53:50Michael Carroll
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 09:46:15nj
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software01/08/2003 13:37:45Robert Ballentine
     Great oppurtunity22/01/2003 22:58:03R Buckley

Forum Home