Forum Message

Topic: Re:regarding newsgroup software
Posted by: Michael Carroll
Date/Time: 30/05/2002 01:35:54

NJ

Thank you for your feedback regarding the forum and recommendations for forum software.

I was instrumental in developing this forum with John and Carmen, although we have to thank Paul Hooper for the technical aspects of buttons working etc.  We specifically wanted something that was simple to use (many newsgroups are not), and a means for people to identify themselves without having to sign up and remember passwords, which I find really cumbersome in newsgroups. I am aware that people seek anonymity, this system offers the choice as you have demonstrated, albeit with a fake e-mail.

I will talk to John and Carmen regarding anonymous postings. As our system I easy to fudge anyway, it might be worth easing the conscience of people who want to post anonymously, so they don’t have to fake emails addresses.

Having said the above, I would rather well known NLPers post their comments here by revealing who they are as John and Carmen have been explicit in their presentation of Whispering. In the book and in this forum they (John and Carmen) have invited well known NLPers to take part in the current discussion relating to topics presented in Whispering. I also have personally invited well-known NLPers to take join in the forum.

Regarding the threads, we have selected the following 5 topic threads, and Paul is working at updating the forum so it consists of the following topics

1. Modeling
2. Applications
3. New Code
4. Proposed Solutions to Puzzles and Recommendations
5. Origins and Definitions

We welcome feedback and suggestions from all users of this forum, with respect to the proposed threads, and any other suggestions for improvement. 

I will investigate the software you recommend. Can you give me the web address of a newsgroup where I can see and take part in the action - so to personally experience your recommendation. I really like simplicity on the web,  and your phrase - large and long-lived discussion- appeals to me.

Great idea about FAQ.  John and Carmen have delivered enough detailed responses here to cut and paste to FAQ- board without extra much work on their part. If anyone reading this fancies the job of extracting from John and Carmen's messages content, to present as Frequently Asked Questions, please let me know? 

Thank you again for your feedback. We genuinely appreciate it from you,  and others who have suggestions regarding how we can establish this forum as model of excellence within the NLP community. Please continue to post here, your feedback is invaluable.

Regards

Michael Carroll

PS. Enjoy -Whispering in the Wind
-

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
regarding newsgroup software29/05/2002 18:31:01nj
     Re:regarding newsgroup software30/05/2002 01:35:54Michael Carroll
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software30/05/2002 05:54:06nj
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 04:42:11nj
               Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 07:29:22nj
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software08/06/2002 08:41:06nj
                    possible list of purchase-related FAQ questions10/07/2002 00:11:27nj
               Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 08:53:50Michael Carroll
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software03/06/2002 09:46:15nj
          Re:Re:regarding newsgroup software01/08/2003 13:37:45Robert Ballentine
     Great oppurtunity22/01/2003 22:58:03R Buckley

Forum Home