Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence -
Posted by: Michael Greinecker
Date/Time: 03/04/2003 20:38:29

ad. 1.

The manifesto was mainly about "unified science", the view that science really is a big body and every science can be related to each other. For example psychology to biology to chemistry to physics. The discussion of psychology is rather minor. I found some text that attributes a strong form of behaviorism to the early Carnap and his student Gustav Hempel, who joined some of the discussions of the Vienna circle. There are only Hempel quotes in it though:

www.utm.edu/research/iep/b/behavior.htm#Logical%20Behaviorism:%20Rudolf%20Carnap

ad 2.

The syntactican uses an empirical test to get knowledge about syntax by asking native speakers wether certain written (visual data) or spoken (auditory data) sentence seem to be right. The response is empirically observable. So competence is a empirical thing. Performance of course is observable too.

That competence comes before performance is a theory that too has directly observable consequences. For example we can see that distractions like alcohol, stress etc. increases the difference between competence and performance. In written texts we can see that people change wrong performance to correct one by eliminating mistakes. So we have empirical definitions of competence, performance and a empirically testable theory of how the two are interrelated. I donīt think anything essential is left out in my positivtst analysis of the terms.

On the topic of stupidity/ignorance:

If stupidity is not knowing what you are ignorant of, than stupidity is just second order ignorance. I donīt see a problem with higher orders either. And I think learning can sometimes remove both kinds of ignorance. For example I can be ignorant of the fact that the bad reception of a speech I give isnīt because the content is bad, but because I havenīt considered the importance of presentation skills, even if I donīt know these skills.

So I can first learn that Iīm ignorant about the importance of presentation skills and then what these skills are specifically. I wouldnīt say that one ignorance is stupid and one not. I think the difference is rather what we associate with both words.

Mike 

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 14/03/2003 00:04:19Thomas
     Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 14/03/2003 12:33:01Tony
          Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 14/03/2003 17:24:44John Schertzer
               Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 15/03/2003 17:27:58John Grinder and Carmen Bostic St. Clair
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 24/03/2003 08:36:35Michael Greinecker
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 24/03/2003 10:06:29John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 24/03/2003 14:23:45John Schertzer
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 24/03/2003 21:04:10John Grinder
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 25/03/2003 20:34:13Michae Greinecker
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 26/03/2003 14:59:04John Schertzer
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 29/03/2003 21:31:24nj
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 29/03/2003 21:58:47John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 31/03/2003 15:24:30Michael Greinecker
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 03/04/2003 14:24:36John Grinder
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 03/04/2003 20:38:29Michael Greinecker
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 01/04/2003 21:24:29John Schertzer
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 03/04/2003 15:43:39John Grinder
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 03/04/2003 21:52:25John Schertzer
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:history and future history: Wittgenstein as influence - 08/04/2003 22:59:08nj

Forum Home