Forum Message

Topic: Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator
Posted by: Michael Carroll
Date/Time: 27/02/2003 00:52:56

Wolfgang

You asked of John the following "in what aspects would you regard the "New Behavior Generator" as described in Trance-Formations as a valid example of the modeling process and how would you update it to fit the New Code criteria?"

I have outlined The New Behaviour Generator as written up in Trance-formations below

1/Select a situation in which a new behaviour is desired
2/ Pick a model
3/ Watch and listen to the model behaving in the situation in front of you (movie screen)
4/ Substitute your image and voice for that of the models
5/ Step into the movie to experience the kinesthetics
6/ Future pace: What cue will trigger the new behaviour

So compare the above to the steps for modelling written up in Whispering- see page 349 to 350. I have written the modelling steps at the bottom of this post. So if you study both procedures you will see that the NBG is different from true modelling as you don't have access to the model using the NBG. The 2 sequences are different in the sense that the NBG is about learning a new behaviour by changing perceptual positions and modelling is about coding tacit knowledge so it becomes explicit. Modelling is a much larger chunk.

If you're seeking similarity from the 2 processes the perceptual position shift in the NBG and the unconscious uptake in the modelling process are similar because you are adjusting your filters to experience the world from the perspective of another with the goal of learning new behaviours. Back to differences with modelling you have direct access to the model.

You asked "how would you update it (NBG) to fit the New Code criteria?"

In my opinion the NBG as written up in Trance-formations is a fore- runner for a New Code pattern.

Trance- formations is a series of transcripts from various seminars conducted by John and Richard. In most of the transcripts it is not evident whether it's John or Richard doing the talking.

What is NOT mentioned in the steps of NBG (written above)- or any other version of the pattern I have seen written up in NLP books- is an important part of set up the exercise that JG and/or RB explained in the original seminar.  The speaker (JG or RB) says -

" I am going to assume you have already put the person in trance and established some kind off ideomotor signal either overtly or covertly."

The above confirms what John writes in Whispering and has said in this forum- that in the classic code he and Richard, when doing NLP change work were calibrating for congruency with clients’  unconscious, but did not explicitly code this process. So NLPers going through the old books see the outline of  NLP patterns, with the NBG  steps 1-5 above and take the pattern  literally without reading between the lines to see what was tacit but not explicit in the original work. 

So mapping the NBG to The New Code, the Practitioner will seek teach the client how to experience an involuntary signal via sensation. This leaves the client with more choice than ideomotor signals that occur in a trance as the involuntary signal via sensation move is generative in the sense the client learns to communicate with his/her unconscious mind. As a practitioner of NLP this is the best way to make yourself redundant as you are teaching people personal congruency which is a major message of the New Code.

In essence steps 4 and 5 of NBG is a perceptual position shift. The interesting part of 4 and 5 is the perceptual position move occurs in two phases in the first instance splitting the visual and auditory systems from the kinesethics.

Please note while your post was directed at John, this post does not constitute of opinions  that are intended to represent John Grinder. I came in of this thread  because John, Carmen and I would like to encourage a more lateral form of discussion where a thread has many voices not just John answering the curious questions of our friendly visitors.

Regards

Michael

Modelling process (summarised from Whispering)

1. Identify the source of patterning to be modelled
2. Unconscious uptake of pattering
3. Systematic deployment of the patterning
4. Coding the patterning in self and the original source. Mapping tacit knowledge now resident in the modeller to explicit knowledge the model itself
5. Testing the model to check that is transferable to other modellers

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Modeling: New Behavior Generator24/02/2003 09:38:27Wolfgang Karber
     Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator26/02/2003 19:52:51John Grinder
     Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 00:52:56Michael Carroll
          Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 01:36:01John Grinder
               Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 09:41:47Claire
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 16:21:33John Grinder
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator01/03/2003 19:45:35Claire
               Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator28/02/2003 01:29:01Michael Carroll
          Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 13:51:54Wolfgang Karber
               Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator27/02/2003 20:55:44Jon Edwards
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Modeling: New Behavior Generator28/02/2003 01:53:06Michael Carroll

Forum Home