Forum Message

Topic: Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications
Posted by: nj
Date/Time: 21/12/2003 10:29:28

Hello.

This thread has been about a principle, which I define as:

1. the subjective connotations of your client's communication, when changed by you, needlessly and undesirably manipulate your client's experience.

I might argue principle (1) case-by-case against each person who posts some example of his or her action in therapy.  The following concepts could be useful in each such argument.

2. statement synonymy
3. deductive entailment
4. analytic predication
5. synthetic predication
5. necessary truths
6. contingent truths
7. statement presupposition
8. syntactic ambiguity
9. semantic ambiguity
10. semantic vagueness
11. illocutionary intent
12. perlocutionary intent.

Personally, from what I know of Ericksonian Hypnotherapy, it's use can be ethical in the ordinary sense, and understanding of those ethics is well-defined.

When I write about ethical hypnotherapy use, ethical in the ordinary sense, I'm referring to use that follows the utilitarian ethical policy:

13. make a decision based on your determination of what will best provide for the interests of yourself and others, given that your interests can't count any more than the interests of anyone else involved in the consequences of your decision, and given that you disregard individual differences between the people involved in the consequences of your decision.

Whether or not ethical communication can violate principle (1), I'm predisposed to think that:

14. a therapist should not purposefully divide, reduce, or remove the conscious attention of the client from the therapist's verbal communication content.

15. a therapist should reinforce the propositional content of his or her verbal communication with his or her paraverbal communication content. (in some cases, paraverbals might provide additional propositional content, rather than reinforce verbal content).  Alternatively, the therapist can leave out some paraverbal communication during verbal communication with a client.

16.  A therapist should not utilize metaphorical communication.  I'm against metaphorical therapeutic communication, in the therapy context, simply because I believe that a therapy client will interpret a therapeutic metaphor with less flexibility and reserve than the client needs.  Vague, ambiguous, metaphorical statements need to be interpreted with great flexibility (including the flexibility to reject the metaphor entirely), and greater reserve (including thorough, worthwhile conscious and unconscious checks of the metaphor's suggestions against the client's accurate recollection of the past behavior of the client). 

Note that my opinion (16) is not a statement that I'm against code words in therapy.  Code words are fine by me.  My predisposition to have opinions (14), (15), and (16) might change, if my beliefs about the attitudes and capabilities of NLP therapists changed.  I was thinking about my experience and knowledge of NLP therapy practice, to date, when I formed opinions (14), (15), and (16).

-nj

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications12/10/2003 03:05:59nj
     Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications12/10/2003 17:57:12zhizhichien
          Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications14/10/2003 01:04:42nj
     Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications14/10/2003 01:52:29nj
          Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications17/10/2003 21:24:43nj
               illocution, perlocution, and metaphorical therapeutic communication.23/10/2003 21:54:51nj
                    Re:illocution, perlocution, and metaphorical therapeutic communication.25/10/2003 10:41:00nj
     Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications21/12/2003 10:29:28nj
          Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications21/12/2003 13:44:20Kate
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications21/12/2003 20:29:49nj
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications22/12/2003 08:25:58Michael Carroll
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications22/12/2003 09:55:31Pete West
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications22/12/2003 10:46:16Pete West
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communicat23/12/2003 04:42:00kate
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications22/12/2003 23:34:38Kate
          Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications26/12/2003 12:09:42nj
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications26/12/2003 12:14:21nj
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications26/12/2003 19:23:57nj
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications08/02/2004 00:49:11nj
     Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications28/12/2003 12:15:09Anthony
          Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications29/12/2003 00:55:24nj
               Re:Re:Re:Topic: NLPapplication Ethics, A principle of matching connotation of client communications29/12/2003 20:38:25Anthony

Forum Home