Forum Message

Topic: Who let the Genii out of a bottle
Posted by: Robert Ballentine
Date/Time: 26/06/2003 16:55:42

Hi John,

I have very much enjoyed our discussion and wanted to post some further thoughts and redefine my statement in relation to the adult learning.

If we take the assumption that: - through the adapted learning and cohesive contexts surrounding a child, a predilection of skills will emerge throughout their growth years, resulting in their continued definition or map of the world and in some they will be classed as prodigies.

If the child or young adult has a propensity toward a particular skill set, be that of art, music, conceptual and analytic or mathematical processes etc, the probability of learning a new skill set in adult life, that is of a different logical type may prove to be subjectively harder than one that they are semi/proficient in.

i.e. Placed in a dichotomous world  -  a child learns to play the piano from reading music a VeKi strategy (please note the strategy here is a simplified version), the propensity and ability to learn to type will be higher (than that of someone who has learnt mathematics a VeVi strategy (perhaps?), because piano and typing are of the same logical type.

So, if we make the assumption (from Allan Snyders work) that at birth we have a set of latent skills (labelled genius skills), (that I assume will be of differing logical types (and what these skills or available processes are specifically, I do not know)), and through the use of the TM machine an adult who has not had the propensity or advantage of learning or training within a particular field then shows a marked rise in efficacy by applying one of these ‘new’ skills i.e. calendar day computation (calendar day computation is the ability to, given a specific year and date, within a very short space of time, 1-3 seconds, accurately name what given day the date fell or falls upon i.e. 1905 June the 30 th falls on a Wednesday), then we could arrive at a conclusion that regardless of our predilections in life, the latent skills to us as a member of the species human are available in a capacity that would otherwise have been thought of as only available to Genii.

So in short we could say a skill with a logical type (a) and another skill that also has a logical type (a) will be comparatively easy to learn and master for an adult who is already proficient in logical type (a) skills.
A skill of logical type (a) and a skill of logical type (b) for an adult will be comparatively harder to learn and master for an adult for an adult who is already proficient in logical type (a) skills.
Given the use of the TM machine and sufficient practice afterwards, the proposal is that an adult with a proficient skill set of Logical type (a) has the latent ability to show a propensity in both demonstrating sufficient skill and the learning of logical skill type (B) that would otherwise have been considered outside of their current set and logical type of skills.

Upon reading the material from Allan’s work I am making a leap of faith in my intuition that the autistic savants who demonstrate phenomenal abilities appear to, through their autism have a comprehension of form and process and not that of content. That their ability to not focus or have comprehension of the ‘meaning’ of things, that is the lack of social, emotional and language codification filters, allow them to ‘see’ things how they are and that they demonstrate their abilities at FA with no or little interpretation from f2.

In another way  - an autistic savant will not draw the whole but subdivide it into parts and draw them and then by the way of connecting lines, finish it off with a very high degree of accuracy in keeping the picture to scale. As someone who also draws I know how difficult this is. It is of course possible that in the drawing of the component parts the unconscious is processing the variants required in filling the picture in. But their inability to necessarily know what it is they are drawing or to know what a horse is seems to allow them to know about its shape and form. This is all conjecture but I hope an interesting line of thought.

I have no empirical evidence for this only an intuition. The assumption then is that high performance states at FA are surely in line with the skills of genius and can only be performed if such a state is available.

Robert B

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/06/2003 16:55:42Robert Ballentine
     Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/06/2003 18:03:37Robert Ballentine
          Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle28/06/2003 19:20:08John Grinder
               Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle08/07/2003 17:17:05Robert Ballentine
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 06:55:47John Grinder
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 09:03:27James OMalley
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 16:07:38John Grinder
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle15/07/2003 03:27:47Jesse
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle15/07/2003 20:11:14John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 16:17:27Robert Ballentine
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 18:08:26James O'Malley
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/07/2003 00:47:27James O 'Malley
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle29/07/2003 16:59:02Robert Ballentine
                                             Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle30/07/2003 12:43:10James O'Malley
                                                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle30/07/2003 13:07:57Robert Ballentine
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 20:13:31John Schertzer

Forum Home