Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle
Posted by: Jesse
Date/Time: 15/07/2003 03:27:47

John
You wrote- "Yes, of course, along with spirituality and other current favorites among marketable nominalizations, belief is something that the conscious mind believes essential - note the self fulfilling prophecy nature of this last sentence. My point is that beliefs get you nothing (except something to market and talk about at parties) and they carry a heavy price - they remove experience prior to having it (feedforward). Offer me an example of a belief that increases your experience and, indeed, has any advantage."

I am a bit confused.  You told me this earlier and for the last few weeks I have pondering this.  If by belief you mean generalization, the process were we take experiences to represent a class or category, also known as induction,  I can't see how we could not make beliefs.  In a sense anchoring can be thought of as a form of unconscious induction.  I can see how some "beliefs" can be rationalizations but others may not be.  You also seem to imply (atleast as i understand you) that feedforward is necessarily unuseful.  I would think that a belief that is set deductively without experience could be some what of a hinderance, in many cases a major hinderance(certain types of graduate school programs come to mind).  yet, lets say I come to a new context to learn something new and as I review my personal history I have examples from my past were I successfully learned new things and I group those experiences together (the process of generalization)as evidence of my ability to learn.  That generalization can help me to continue through "tough" times.  Atleast that has been my personal experience.  Now it could be argued that is my conscious rationalization yet how then can I know what is a "rationalization"...we are at the level of epistomology.  How does a person differentiate "rationalization" and congruent self calibration.  If all beliefs are rationalizations and "bullshit" then what a rabbit hole the human race is in! 

You also wrote-
"You wrote, "My question  John is what happens if the client does not have any internal dialogue. Where does her timeline go then?"

Who cares what happend to this mythical creature we created to explore the strucutre of human experience - if you have the capacity to live at FA (necessarily without internal dialogue), who cares?

Oh, I just realized where it goes - to the same place that the images go when you are not looking at them or the socks that disappear in the process of washing. Look for them there!"

You can't find those socks by looking for them...didn't you know the sock monster eats them.  Find the monster and you'll find the socks.  Hey I bet the sock monster steals the timelines too.  Don't stop talking to yourself or you'll lose your timeline.  Seriously thanks for the joke I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read that! Shh I think I hear the sock monster eating my sock.  Got to go catch him  I don't have many socks.

Jesse

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/06/2003 16:55:42Robert Ballentine
     Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/06/2003 18:03:37Robert Ballentine
          Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle28/06/2003 19:20:08John Grinder
               Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle08/07/2003 17:17:05Robert Ballentine
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 06:55:47John Grinder
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 09:03:27James OMalley
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 16:07:38John Grinder
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle15/07/2003 03:27:47Jesse
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle15/07/2003 20:11:14John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 16:17:27Robert Ballentine
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 18:08:26James O'Malley
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle26/07/2003 00:47:27James O 'Malley
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle29/07/2003 16:59:02Robert Ballentine
                                             Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle30/07/2003 12:43:10James O'Malley
                                                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle30/07/2003 13:07:57Robert Ballentine
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Who let the Genii out of a bottle09/07/2003 20:13:31John Schertzer

Forum Home