Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:moving people into change
Posted by: Mark MacLean
Date/Time: 04/11/2003 09:24:24

Hello all,

An enjoyable thread. Here are my thoughts for your consideration:

(In my opinion), As an NLP therapist your outcome (from a process perspective) would be something close to: Using the skills, tools and processes I have accumulated from modelling excellence, to assist my client in shifting their own model to a set of perceptions that is (and will be) more resourceful than the set than they were previously working within, (ideally, for which they are compensating me).

The focus on (financial) compensation is only one of many ways to hold your personal outcome (and model), from encroaching on the content and details of the clients outcomes. Triple description also comes immediately to mind. I am also finding it interesting to play with the idea of outcomes (mine and my client's) as being hierarchal, or of the same level, and the benefits of either perspective.

For now, from my experience, in response to Dr. Grinder's question, the focus on intention helps to separate unconscious outcomes, from conscious utterances.

Jason B said: "and I question whether people really know what they really "want" "

Sounds like risky territory to me. If they don't know what they "really want", then who does?...Certainly not the therapist. (IMO) The therapist should be not be guessing, and/or making these judgements. I think the point to be made is that what the client claims that they want (verbally) is only one part of information being received by the therapist. More specifically, it only represents the satisfaction of a sub-set of intentions at the unconscious level.

e.g. Client: "I want to clean my neighbours clock"

This statement may belong to various domains such as: "I want to physically lash out at someone", OR "I want to have some satisfactory resolution about an outstanding issue with my neighbour", OR "The maintaining of time pieces in good working order is important to me, including those of my neighbours". All of these domains have other behaviours that would lead to equal or greater satisfaction at the level of intention, (as described at length in WITW), while conflicting less with other “parts”, which have other intentions. Perhaps what is most important though, is that by using the 6 Step Reframe, none of these possible domains, by name or explicit description, need to be brought into the conscious awareness of the client, while being attended to unconsciously by therapist to affect change.

Taek care everyone, and I appreciate any feedback that is offered,

Mark MacLean

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
moving people into change20/10/2003 17:33:09Eric
     Re:moving people into change21/10/2003 03:05:19Todd
          Re:Re:moving people into change21/10/2003 04:02:19Eric
     Re:moving people into change21/10/2003 04:08:07Jim R
          Re: moving people into change22/10/2003 12:31:56Jason B
               Re:Re: moving people into change22/10/2003 13:02:06Eric
               Re:Re: moving people into change22/10/2003 19:57:44n
          Re:Re:moving people into change22/10/2003 17:15:58John Grinder