Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception
Posted by: nj
Date/Time: 19/05/2004 10:08:31

I'm going to assume a meaning, and go on.

Having rights means someone else legislated, or approved, or allowed, the behavior that you have the right to perform.  A person has the right to be cruel to another in innumerable ways, each legal.  Some ways, however, ARE illegal for the person to perform, so the person "has no legal right".

Values make a hell of a difference wrt appreciating another person's experience, whether or not the person is human.  You can even value the appreciation, in terms of its worth to you.

For example:

If I stop eating meat, because I appreciate the suffering that animals go through in captivity and during slaughter, then will I help those animals?  No.  They'll all be raised and killed anyway, because lots of other people will still eat meat, so I don't value my appreciation of the suffering of those animals: the appreciation will make no difference, and meanwhile, it gets me down.  I don't value the appreciation: if it's possible for me not to have it, or to have it less, I probably will, at that point.

I've just committed a logical fallacy, the fallacy of slippery assimilation.  The way out of the fallacy is to appreciate that at least ONE person(non-human) might not suffer that way AT ALL, because of my not eating meat.  I will save one animal from suffering factory-raising and slaughter.

A common, and false, argument against ethics, is that values MUST be relative, since it's impossible to associate indexes with another's ontologically subjective experience.  Here's an example, of me thinking about a bull tortured by ring-clamp circumcision.  The argument goes:

"I can't find accurate mappings of signs of internal experience in another to his internal experience.  Mappings that correspond to the ones I demonstrate (like screaming when I feel pain), might be different for him.  Just because he's screaming with that agonized sound, is rolling on the floor, his eyes bulging, and his legs kicking, doesn't mean he necessarily feels agony."

That is NOT an argument I use to persuade me to eat meat.  But that kind of argument is, I think, a common conscious response people make when the politics of the rest of their arguments are satisfied, politics that depended only on knowledge of the situation.  Knowledge contrasts with association, in the case of a decision.  Associating into the position of another is very different than knowing how that person feels, felt, or will feel.

But here are my pro-meat-eating arguments:

- Just because you eat the meat, you are not factoryfarm employee; you aren't responsible for the animal's torture. 

- the meat in the cooler is just meat, the animal is long dead. 

- what can one person who doesn't eat meat do? (see argument above)

- meat adds variety and flavor to my meals

My argument is conductive, each premise separately lending support to the conclusion.  The most important thing to do with a conductive argument is counter each premise separately, while building another argument toward an opposing conclusion.

In fact, I do eat meat, and I don't need to eat meat, and I'm searching for alternatives to add variety and flavor to my meals, and I'm afraid, not ethical.

-nj

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception03/05/2004 22:23:42GSM
     Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception04/05/2004 00:41:51nj
          Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception05/05/2004 00:06:14nj
               Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 02:32:10nj
          Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 07:31:33Charlie
               Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 08:44:28
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 09:17:14Charlie
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 10:08:31nj
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 12:37:57Charlie
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception19/05/2004 19:39:42nj
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 09:28:59e_lie
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 10:01:36nj
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 14:15:30John Schertzer
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 17:04:31e_lie
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 18:27:25John Schertzer
                                             Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 18:36:58
                                                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 18:38:04nj
                                             Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception21/05/2004 10:18:14e_lie
                                                  Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception21/05/2004 11:15:58nj
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception20/05/2004 17:58:37nj
     Dr Pepper04/05/2004 01:14:48James Tsakalos
     Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception04/05/2004 15:00:45John Schertzer
          Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception05/05/2004 16:25:40GSM
               Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception05/05/2004 19:22:37John Schertzer
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception05/05/2004 20:26:35GSM
     Re:Difference in beliefs as a case of differences in perception21/05/2004 11:51:29e_lie

Forum Home