Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns
Posted by: Jon Edwards
Date/Time: 27/09/2002 10:48:15

Hi Michael,

Glad you like it!

Thanks for your questions. From my viewpoint, they are very useful, and very welcome. The exercise generated lots of questions for me too! And the diagram was very much intended as a discussion-starter, not by any means a finished product.

So, a few thoughts on your questions (with the usual caveat that I'm fairly new to NLP) - using the same numbers to save lots of copying and pasting -

1. I think there's a mapping between "re-usable generic sub-patterns" and "NLP skills and techniques" - from Triple Description (which Michael Carroll suggested, in another post, is also useful in Photo-Reading) to the "Creative resource" which is used in 3rd Position, but could also be used anywhere you need to generate lots of options (a kind of internal brainstorming machine). One of the benefits of standardised documentation/diagrams might be that it makes it easier to identify those techniques that are used often, so that they can be practiced and improved (like a tennis player might practice their backhand)? You could also have a repository of different techniques to achieve a certain objective - 5 different brainstorming techniques, 7 ways to step into 2nd position, and so on?

2. I had a vision of a very general high-level diagram, where you could then click on different parts to show more detail - but I'm not sure how detailed you could practically/usefully go - and it may be that there are several different ways to achieve some functions (brainstorming lots of options, for example), so that could be left to the reader's discretion, perhaps with a pointer to a list of common techniques for achieving that function?

3. A mixture? As I was working on the diagram, I could imagine breaking the "Thinking State" down into further sub-states, whereas some of the procedures would be easier to represent as traditional "Do this, then do that, if condition x, then do Y" code. But aren't the two interchangeable, depending on preference? Some programmers like to see the diagrams, some prefer to read the code - both are representations of the same thing?

4. Perhaps there are two different purposes? First, to represent a model of one person's way of achieving a certain objective (the exceptional person you modelled), in which case you don't get the problem you mention? And second, to combine several models (five very good salespeople, for example), to create a "best practice" pattern? I'm not sure at the moment how you'd tackle the second case! But, another benefit of diagrams is that they might make it easier to look at different patterns and see where the variations and similarities occur?

5. I think there's some things that will have to be a "black box", because by definition, they cannot be described verbally! But maybe you can describe (and document) the techniques for achieving them, perhaps there are chains of states and transitions that will lead you to the "indescribable state"? Maybe there's also an underlying assumption that a repository of documented patterns is primarily aimed at experienced NLP practitioners, who will know from experience (or training) how to recognise those "indescribable states"? I'm out of my depth on this one!  :-)

Hope that's useful!

Cheers, Jon

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Formats for documenting NLP patterns20/09/2002 15:13:14Jon Edwards
     Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns20/09/2002 17:34:11Carmen Bostic St. Clair and John Grinder
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns21/09/2002 12:36:32Jon Edwards
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns24/09/2002 17:11:18Jon Edwards
               Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 03:42:03John Grinder
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 16:46:54Jon Edwards
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 18:33:15John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 19:16:31Jon Edwards
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns28/09/2002 06:07:46David Chuipka
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns28/09/2002 15:56:07Jon Edwards
               Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 06:06:45Jeisyn Murphy
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 15:24:39Jon Edwards
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 05:05:12Jeisyn Murphy
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 09:21:48Michael Carroll
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 21:53:14Jon Edwards
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 23:54:15Michael Carroll
     Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns26/09/2002 07:23:33Michael V
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 10:48:15Jon Edwards

Forum Home