Forum Message

Topic: Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns
Posted by: Jon Edwards
Date/Time: 27/09/2002 15:24:39

Hi Jeisyn,

Thanks for sharing your diagram, I found it very useful!

Getting very left-brained and pedantic, I would say that your diagram is more a flow-chart than a state-diagram. But that in no way diminishes its usefulness, and that's purely my opinion.  :-)

I've been turning this one over and over in my mind, and I have some first tentative thoughts as to how one might represent the 6 Step Reframe as a state-diagram, but they're only half-formed, so I'd appreciate your comments (and anyone else's)!

At a high level, I think there are 3 overall states involved (each of which might contain several sub-states) -

1. The "Problem" Context - the behaviour to be changed. From my limited understanding, I think you only step into this state very briefly, just long enough to establish the parameters for the session - so that your conscious and unconscious both know what they are working on. It might be useful to generalise this and call it something like the "Context Identification State" - this helps to define the purpose of this state, and also suggests that there may be several different methods for achieving it, as long as the outcome is a definition of the context we are working on.

2. The "Negotiation with Unconscious" State - you could say that one goes into this state 3 times (steps 3, 4, and 5 on page 216 of WITW), or you could say that you enter into one conversation with your Unconscious, for which you have 3 desired outcomes (one of which, step 4, involves calling on the "brainstorming" sub-pattern which we also use in other patterns). If we generalise it as one conversation with the Unconscious, we can then use techniques from the "Conversation" pattern we developed previously.

3. The "Ecology Check" State - this is something I've seen mentioned often in NLP, so perhaps it's again useful to generalise it, to specify its purpose, and then to list different methods for doing it?

You've probably noticed I've missed step 2! I think you could argue that there is a state called "Establishing Communication with the Unconscious", but you could equally argue that this is actually a transition, from the previous state, into the "Negotiation with Unconscious" state. People who already have a well-established method for communicating with their unconscious will make this transition quite easily, whereas others would find it helpful to think of it as a separate state, containing the procedural steps you show in your diagram.

I hope that makes sense, and starts to show how the concepts of generalisation and re-usability that Michael V mentioned could be useful?

If I'm going wildly off-track here, can someone please shut me up?  :-)

Cheers, Jon

Entire Thread

TopicDate PostedPosted By
Formats for documenting NLP patterns20/09/2002 15:13:14Jon Edwards
     Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns20/09/2002 17:34:11Carmen Bostic St. Clair and John Grinder
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns21/09/2002 12:36:32Jon Edwards
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns24/09/2002 17:11:18Jon Edwards
               Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 03:42:03John Grinder
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 16:46:54Jon Edwards
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 18:33:15John Grinder
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns25/09/2002 19:16:31Jon Edwards
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns28/09/2002 06:07:46David Chuipka
                                        Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns28/09/2002 15:56:07Jon Edwards
               Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 06:06:45Jeisyn Murphy
                    Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 15:24:39Jon Edwards
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 05:05:12Jeisyn Murphy
                         Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 09:21:48Michael Carroll
                              Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 21:53:14Jon Edwards
                                   Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns30/09/2002 23:54:15Michael Carroll
     Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns26/09/2002 07:23:33Michael V
          Re:Re:Formats for documenting NLP patterns27/09/2002 10:48:15Jon Edwards

Forum Home